Friday, June 5, 2015

Book Review: Bad Romeo by Leisa Rayven

Bad Romeo (Starcrossed #1)
By Leisa Rayven 
Release Date: December 23, 2014
Source: Amazon 
Summary: When Cassie Taylor met Ethan Holt at acting school, sparks flew. She was the good girl actress. He was the bad boy about campus. But one fated casting choice for Romeo and Juliet changed it all. Like the characters they were playing, Cassie and Ethan's romance seemed destined. Until he broke her heart and betrayed her trust. Now the A-list heartthrob is back in her life and turning her world around. One touch at a time. 

Cast as romantic leads once again, they're forced to confront raw memories of the heartbreaking lows and pulse-pounding highs of their secret college affair. But they'll also discover that people who rub each other the wrong way often make the best sparks

Review: HOLY COW THIS BOOK. I've seen this book around a lot lately and wasn't sure what it was about, so I decided to check it out. I mean, with a cover like that, how could I resist? When I found out the story was about two actors, I knew that I had to pick it up. And boy, am I glad I did! 

From the moment Cassie Taylor and Ethan Holt meet at auditions for the same performing arts program, sparks fly. Their chemistry is undeniable, but Ethan seems to be doing everything in his power to avoid Cassie, until he can't stay away anymore when they are cast as Romeo and Juliet for their school's play. Cassie and Ethan are forced to confront their intense attraction for one another, but Ethan leaves Cassie heartbroken. Fast forward six years and Cassie and Ethan are cast as the romantic leads again, but this time Cassie is determined to protect her heart. Try as she might, though, Ethan is determined to show Cassie how perfect for each other they really are. 

I already said it, but I'll say it again: THIS BOOK. It was amazing! First, I loved how the story was told alternating between the past when Cassie and Ethan first met and the present where it's 6 years after we know Ethan broke Cassie's heart. You could definitely see how different of a person Cassie is between college and the after portion, which I think was great in showing how much Ethan had affected her as a person. In college, I loved how naive Cassie was and how open and honest about her inexperiences she was. There were so many laugh out loud moments that I just loved and I could totally connect with Cassie when she was just starting out college and I completely believed the intense attraction she shared with Ethan. I mean, who wouldn't want to be attracted to someone like Ethan?? Sure, he was brooding and dark, but man he was yummy!

The best part about this book alternating between past and present was that you knew that Ethan was going to seriously hurt Cassie, but you had no idea when or how. That made the past story that much more enticing and suspenseful. You wanted them to get together, but you also didn't because you knew it would hurt Cassie to the extreme. I loved how Cassie was so optimistic and innocent in the past but I both hated and loved Ethan because he was sweet but I knew he would really hurt Cassie. Ugh, the emotions! I also really loved the acting aspect of this story. Cassie and Ethan had to act like they were in love so many times because of the plays they were in, both in the past and in the future, and those moments were the best and most heart-wrenching. 

I could gush about this book forever. I must warn you, though, THE ENDING. Ugh, there is a cliffhanger that I am just so mad at!!! I was waiting the entire book for something to happen and when it did, the book literally just ended. Just. Ended. I need a copy of Broken Juliet in my hands right now, but obviously can't and it's killing me. If a book has that effect on me that I'm mad that it ended, though, then you know that this is a book you have to read! 


2 comments:

  1. The flashbacks to six years ago would be enticing for me too because I'm really curious as to why Ethan betrayed her. Maybe it was to protect himself or a misunderstanding I don't know. The romance sounds amazing with those laugh out loud moments. Happy you enjoyed this one Jessica (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I've seen this book a couple of times and have been interested but have never gotten round to picking up, despite the positive reviews. But now you've made me really want to pick it up! I'm not a huge fan of exchangers so I might wait until the sequel comes out. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...