Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Book Review: God Save the Queen by Kate Locke

God Save the Queen
By Kate Locke
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Source: Publisher

Summary: Queen Victoria rules with an immortal fist. 

The undead matriarch of a Britain where the Aristocracy is made up of werewolves and vampires, where goblins live underground and mothers know better than to let their children out after dark. A world where being nobility means being infected with the Plague (side-effects include undeath), Hysteria is the popular affliction of the day, and leeches are considered a delicacy. And a world where technology lives side by side with magic. The year is 2012 and Pax Britannia still reigns.

Xandra Vardan is a member of the elite Royal Guard, and it is her duty to protect the Aristocracy. But when her sister goes missing, Xandra will set out on a path that undermines everything she believed in and uncover a conspiracy that threatens to topple the empire. And she is the key-the prize in a very dangerous struggle.

Review: Steampunk is still a pretty new genre to me, but after seeing this cover I knew I had to read it. And I'm SO happy I read it! God Save the Queen was such an awesome story that I just could not put down!

The world created in this book is so unique and so interested to read about. The Aristocrats are victims The Plague, giving them the gift of immorality. Queen Victoria has been ruling for over one hundred years and the vampires and werewolves are not leaving the world any time soon. Oh, and there's Goblins living in the tunnels who eat any meat that crosses their paths.

Xandra is a halvie, not quite an aristocrat and serving in the Queen's royal guard. Xandra's character reminded me so much of Rose from Vampire Academy and that's why I think I liked her so much. She's a strong woman who can sure hold her own. Even when a hunky guy comes into the picture, she doesn't fall to playing the damsel in distress; she can handle her own problems. There is so much secrecy in who Xandra is, who she can really trust, and who the good guys are in society that there's never a dull moment in this book. And the characters were all unique and lovable in their own ways.

My favorite part, though, was how they still wore fancy dresses and corsets because that's just what Queen Victoria was used to. The crazy colored hair of the halvies was so cool too and I wish I could live in their world! Imagine having bright blue hair while wearing the amazing dresses of victorian England. If reading steampunk means escaping into these crazy, cool worlds like the one in God Save the Queen, then I'm definitely checking out more of them! The second book in this series doesn't come out until 2013, so I need something to hold me over until then! Hopefully I can find a book as awesome as this one. If you haven't tried Steampunk, or even if you have and really enjoyed it, you need to read this book! You won't want to put it down :)



8 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read! Thanks for the review, and glad that you enjoyed it. :)

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Locke has quickly become a new favorite of mine and if my review told you nothing about the story, don't worry you need to buy the books and find out why I thoroughly enjoyed them. Here is to more of the Immortal Empire, prats and all.

    Hyacinth
    Ketterman Rowland & Westlund Truck Accident Lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next.

    Website
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much about this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I think that you just could do with a few

    percent to drive the message house a little bit, however other than that, this is great blog. A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

    TradeBiz
    Click Trade

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

    Tawk.to
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made certain nice points in features also.

    Note.com
    Information

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.

    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...